Shadow is a playable ninja assassin in Final Fantasy VI, and also one of the more unique characters in the game. Throughout the first half of the story Shadow will join your party for short periods of time only to leave shortly after. He has a reputation a a cold ruthless killer, as evidenced by a quote from Edgar Roni Figaro “That’s Shadow…he’d slit his mama’s throat for a nickel”. Also unique to Shadow is the dog he travels with known as Interceptor, who according to Shadow is generally not fond of strangers. With Shadow in your party Interceptor will actually attack at various points during battles to assist you. At the mid-point of the game you are given the ability to save Shadow’s life or let him die, if you do in fact save him he can be found at the Cave in the Veldt in the World of Ruin.
Shadow’s Special Command: Throw
Shadow’s Critical Atrack: Shadow Fang
Shadow’s past is communicated to players through dream sequences, some of which happen in the World of Balance, with the rest shown to you if you have him during the World of Ruin. They can only be activated by sleeping at Inn’s throughout the game world. Shadow was formerly known as a Thief named Clyde, who worked with a partner in crime named Baram. They referred to themselves as “The Great Train Robbers of the Century.” At one point, they found a treasure worth one million GP, but the authorities were on their tail. During an escape a wounded Baram begged Clyde to kill him to avoid capture. But Clyde could not bring himself to ease his friend’s potential suffering through death. Clyde fled, eventually finding himself in a town called Thamasa, where after establishing a relationship with a woman named Madonna, he fled the town (knowing he could not escape his past), and became Shadow.
- “Leave us. The dog eats strangers…”
- “All I know how to do is fight…”
- “I’ll be blown to bits before I can even collect my pay…”
- “In this world there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don’t forget that.”
- “Baram! I’m going to stop running. I’m going to begin all over again…”
Shadow – World of Ruin
There are a few steps in order to play as Shadow in the World of Ruin and have him join your party permanently.
- You must wait for him when leaving the floating continent, the first time you’re prompted to leave simply hit “Wait”, the second time you’re prompted you select “Wait for Shadow”. Simply waiting until the timer gets to about 5 seconds will initiate a cut scene where he escapes with you.
- Assuming you’ve done step 1, Shadow can be found out the Cave in the Veldt, you must speak to him here first.
- You will find a weapon (dirk) in the Cave called “The Striker” if you bet this weapon at the coliseum you will fight Shadow, he will join your party afterwards regardless of the result of the fight.
Relationship with Relm
While never explicitly stated, it is always assumed that Relm is the daughter of Shadow.
- He is able to equip the memento ring left behind by Relm’s deceased mother.
- Interceptor (who is known for not liking strangers) is perfectly comfortable around Relm.
- Relm is from Thamasa, the town Clyde is shown leaving during one of Shadow’s dream sequences.
- Ninja Star
- Tack Star
- Man Eater
- Mithril Knife
- Thief Knife
- Sword Breaker
- Imp Halberd