Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S: Kurukkurin is a licensed Sailor Moon puzzle game from Bandai and the contract developer Tom Create. It uses the same concept as SameGame, where the player clicks on a tile to remove it and any adjacent tiles of the same color, as well as same-colored tiles adjacent to those, and so on. It features both one-player and two-player options.
The player selects any one of the Sailor Senshi (minus Saturn) or Tuxedo Kamen (Tuxedo Mask). Using the Luna/Artemis heads as cursors, the player “pops” clusters of similarly-colored hearts.
An aspect that Kurukkurin introduces are the sky-blue hearts, which act as “trash” in that they will be destroyed along with any tiles that are activated near them, but the player can also “reveal” them by passing their cursor across, revealing their color and/or whether they are a useful power-up item. New sky-blue hearts appear regularly while playing, and it’s down to the player to either they want to see what they are or simply remove them as-is via chain reactions.
Aside from the hearts, the game also features various items with different abilities:
- Crossbows, which, when “popped”, remove all hearts in the direction they face on both sides of the screen.
- Heart Wands will use the player’s senshi’s elemental power on the opponent’s side of the screen.
- Mini Professor Tomoe faces can hatch from greenish, cocoon-like objects, and will destroy any talismans they come in contact with. If the player has any on their side of the screen, however, using a Heart Wand will destroy them instead of hindering the opponent.
- Heart Brooches can remove all hearts of any color of the player’s choosing on their side of the screen.
- There are also pink gems that have different effects based on which color heart is selected after them.
The Senshi-specific powers are as follows:
- Sailor Moon – Destroys a 3×3 block of hearts/items on the opponent’s side.
- Sailor Mercury – Floods the opponent’s side and makes them unable to turn over white hearts for a period of time.
- Sailor Mars – Burns a few random hearts/items on the opponent’s side.
- Sailor Jupiter – Electrifies a few random hearts on the opponent’s side.
- Sailor Venus – Removes items from the opponent’s side.
- Sailor Uranus – Destroys one column on the opponent’s side and clears it for a period of time.
- Sailor Neptune – Floods the opponent’s side and makes white hearts stop falling in for a period of time.
- Sailor Pluto – Moves the center line over, decreasing the opponent’s side by one column.
- Sailor Chibi Moon – Puts an umbrella in place of an opponent’s heart, preventing that column from dropping down for a period of time.
- Tuxedo Kamen – Stands in front of the opponent’s side for a period of time.